Monday, October 29, 2012

Survived the in-service process on Thursday by largely listening and staying vulnerable. As I typed up the notes from the meetings, I felt overwhelmed from the negativity expressed by some of my colleagues. I responded honestly about the feelings and went out camping near Dinosaur National Monument over the weekend. The fresh air and hiking helped drive out the depression and cleared my head.

Received good feedback from several colleagues and deafening silence from some others. I deeply appreciate some of the newest teachers who have a far more positive attitude. One woman joined the team because she couldn't grasp the curriculum. She wound up presenting a PowerPoint at the in-service. Her constructive atttitude helped move me along the process. A new male teacher asked where do the critics think curriculum comes from. After all, in a traditonal school, they would be responsible for creating all of their own lessons. No one would be responsible for creating it for them.

The best feedback was from my principal (whom I often criticize) who said she though I was courageous to step into vulnerability in my comments. I thanked her, but also said that approach generated a whole new set of feelings and that being angry is a lot easier and more familiar. We shared a good laugh on that one.

So two consultants are in this coming week. I will be meeeting with one on Thursday afternoon to continue to construct the curriculum.

No comments:

Post a Comment